Art Gallery Internship
Art In FLUX Harlem is a series of Pop-Up Art Galleries launched in Spring 2012 in Harlem. This is an opportunity to be part of a new and innovative concept. FLUX highlights and creates opportunity for artists living and/or working in Harlem; brings art into the center of the community where people walk to work and school, shop and dine; creates a positive use for vacant retail locations; and stimulates a vibrant neighborhood merging art, commerce and community.
The ideal candidate is independent, hard-working, organized, self-motivated and enthusiastic. Current Pop-Up Galleries at 118 and Adam Clayton Powell Blvd., Harlem, NYC with additional outlets around Harlem.
Intern Schedule: Min 14 hours per week over 2 to 4 days
Gallery Hours: Wed-Sat, noon-7pm and Sun, noon-5pm.
Shifts: Noon to 4pm, 3:00pm to 7:00pm, Noon to 7:00pm, Sundays noon-5pm
Internship October 2012 through March 2013.
Reception / greet and engage with guests
- Research artists, organizations, etc. as needed
- Assistance with art handling and installation
- Assist with programming and special events including artist and curator talks, youth programming, wine tastings, etc.
- Answer emails
- Prepare e-mailings to clients, artists, realtors, and other arts organizations
- Press mailings (ie. press releases, blog posts, etc)
- Compose and send emails newsletters
- Website and social media updates
- Opportunity to outreach to artists and propose additional gallery concepts
- Photography and design support
- Opportunity to curate the “Art Wall” a small exhibition space.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Hard working, enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Mature and cheerful attitude
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, Photoshop, and Social Media platforms.
- Previous gallery experience is not necessary, but an interest in the visual arts must be demonstrated.
- Ability to work efficiently with other interns, artists, curators, and advisory board members.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Leanne@artinfluxharlem.com. Please include "Gallery Intern" and your name in the subject of the email. 646-340-3479